Score: Castleton University 38, Dean College 20
Records: Castleton University (2-7, 2-3 ECFC), Dean College (4-5, 4-1 ECFC)
Location: Lippert Field, Franklin, Mass.
Date: Saturday, November 9, 2019
Time: 12:00 PM
Visiting Castleton University raced out to a 31-6 halftime lead and Spartans stunned Dean College, 38-20, in Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC) action on Saturday afternoon.
Despite the loss, the Bulldogs, by virtue of their 4-1 conference record, are the 2019 ECFC Champions.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Michael Bethune, Jr. (New Haven, Conn.) scored on an 83-yard screen pass in the first quarter.
- Castleton scored 24 straight points spanning the first and second quarters.
- The Bulldogs scored on the final play of the third quarter when Bethune sprinted into the endzone from 68 yards out to make the score, 31-12 heading into the fourth.
- Things got closer when Terrell Watts (New Haven, Conn.) connected with Errol Breaux (Marietta, Ga.) from 76 yards out and when Watts scored on the two-point conversion, the game was 31-20.
- Castleton put the game away with a 21 yard touchdown run by Devin Wollner with less than four minutes to play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Watts threw for a career-high 418 yards and two touchdowns for Dean.
- Breaux had another monster performance, hauling in 13 catches for 193 yards and a touchdown.
- Bethune totaled 166 all-purpose yards (94 receiving, 72 rushing) and had two scores.
- Defensively, Waddell Alceus (Apopka, Fla.) finished with 11 tackles.
Prior to the start of the contest, the program honored its ten seniors – Gene Baisden, Jr. (Tampa, Fla.), Ryan Burke (Shelton, Conn.), Julian Burris (Rock Hill, S.C.), Tristan Cahill (Canton, Mass.), Tim Condon (New Canaan, Conn.), Shamis Henry (Flemington, N.J.), Dan Lonergan (Ipswich, Mass.), Shannon Moxey (Austell, Ga.), Jordan Reyes (West Roxbury, Mass.) and manager Zach Henderson.