Score: New England College 3, Dean College 0 (25-19, 25-18. 25-23
Records: New England College (6-14, 2-0 NECC), Dean College (6-9, 0-2 NECC)
Location: Pieri Gymnasium, Franklin, Mass.
Date: Tuesday October 2nd, 2018
Time: 7:00 PM
In a match that was much closer than its 3-0 final score, the Dean College Bulldogs fell to the New England College Pilgirms on Tuesday night at Pieri Gym in Franklin, Mass. The loss drops the Bulldogs to 6-9 overall and 0-2 in the NECC.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Dean fell behind early, ceding the first four points of the opening frame and eventually falling behind 14-5. The Bulldogs closed the gap to five at 17-12 and agani at 24-19, but a kill from Dreka Griffin (Calera, Ala.) put the game away for the Pilgrims.
- The Bulldogs allowed the first four points in the second set too, and again fell behind big. Trailing 12-5, Dean scored 10 of the next 14 points, closing the gap to 16-15. The hosts never tied the score, however, and New England College ripped off four straight points to gain some breathing room. The Pilgrims held on for the 25-18 victory.
- Dean called a timeout early in the third set, while trailing 11-7. The Bulldogs responded with nine straight points, earning their first lead of the evening and racing to a 16-11 advantage. NEC scored once to stop the bleeding, but eventually the Bulldog lead swelled to 19-12. The Pilgirms scored the next eight points, paced by five points from Griffin to regain control of the match and take a 20-19 lead. Dean scored three of the next four points to gain the lead again, but the visitors answered with three of their own to seal the set and match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Melanie Rios-Nevarez (Vega Alta, Puerto Rico) led the Bulldogs with seven kills, while also chipping in eight digs. Kait Anderson (Clinton, Conn.) registered five kills and eight digs while also posting three solo blocks.
- Nicole Defosses (Colorado Springs, Colo.) just missed a double-double, dishing out 17 assists and adding nine digs. Samantha Trullo (Chelmsford, Mass.) recorded 10 digs and pitched in three kills.
Dean is back in action on Thursday when they travel to Fitchburg State for a 7:00 p.m. non-conference showdown.