The Dean College Sports Medicine Department provides professional health care services for all sport and dance athletes enrolled at the college. This health care includes: injury evaluations, treatments and rehabilitation of injuries sustained during supervised practices, games, dance classes and performances in accordance with the mission of the college.
Visiting Teams: PLEASE CALL IN ADVANCE if your team is traveling without an athletic trainer, especially if your team requires any special attention.
Submitting Medical Paperwork
Accessing the Student Portal:
Once you receive your Dean email log in and password you will have access to the Student Health Portal.
- Go to http://dean.studenthealthportal.com/
- Sign in (using your dean email and log in)
- Click on “my forms” or “pending forms”
- Complete the online health forms
- Click on “Document Upload” to submit the required forms
- Incomplete forms will remain in your “my forms” list
PART A- SPORTS MEDICINE FORMS
In addition to the student health forms required by Health Services, the forms listed below are required by Sports Medicine to compete in athletics. These forms are found on the Student Health Portal website.
- Sickle Cell*
- Assumption of Risk & Release of Liability*
- Concussion Information Form*
- Athletic Training Health History (For incoming student-athletes)
- Returning student-athletes health history form (For sophomores, juniors and seniors)
- Physical Examination - Newcomers and returning athletes both need updated physical
- Physical MUST BE DATED AFTER May 1st, 2018 (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, FORM MUST BE UPLOADED THROUGH THEIR STUDENT PORTAL).
For those students taking Prescription Stimulant Medication for ADHD:
- Upload Medical Exemption Form (ADHD) (once completed by your physician) through Document Upload.
If you have any questions regarding the Athletic Health forms, contact Sam O'Brien at (508) 541-1821 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Medical Staff
Brian S. Stefanik
M.Ed, LATC, EMT, CSCS Licensed Athletic Trainer
M.Ed., ATC, CSCS Licensed Athletic Trainer
M.S., ATC Licensed Athletic Trainer
Dr. Joseph Pugleasa
MD, Team Orthopedic
Concussion Management Policy
Dean College is equipped with two state of the art medical training rooms serving the athletics department and the Joan Palladino School of Dance. Athletics training room is located in Pieri Gymnasium Room 5 and the dance athletic training room located in basement of campus center.
Athletics Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM: By Appointments Only
11:00 AM - 3:00 PM: Evaluations, treatments and rehabilitation
3:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Practice Supervision
School of Dance Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
9:30 AM - 5:30 PM: Evaluations, treatments, rehabilitation Medical Services
Water, ice, bottles, splints and crutches are provided for all visiting teams. Moist heat is only provided when accompanied with a doctor's prescription.
A licensed certified athletic trainer will supervise all home games. For home football games a board certified orthopedic physician and an ambulance will be on-site assisting the certified athletic trainer with medical supervision.
All students are automatically enrolled in and charged for the Dean College Student Health Plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided. If a student has her or his own health insurance and declines enrollment in the College health plan, the student must complete the online Dean College Insurance Waiver Form. (This link is only available during specific enrollment dates):
- Fall Semester - June 1 through September 15
- Spring Semester - December 1 through February 1
It is important to note that the burden of proof of participating in a SHP approved health insurance with comparable coverage falls on the student.
By completing and submitting the insurance waiver, the student accepts responsibility for all medical and/or mental health expenses incurred should his/her own insurance prove insufficient.
The Athletic Department maintains a catastrophic health insurance policy that may provide student athletes, who are injured while participating in an intercollegiate sport, with additional benefits. This policy is for medical expenses incurred by a student athlete after a $25,000 deductible has been satisfied. Any payments made by your health insurance company and your out-of-pocket expenses are applied towards this deductible.